I called my mom on a fine sunday,
Me : Hi ma, How can I make Sambhar ?
Well I know this is a nightmare for all geeks and their mom together. When you live far away from home and in a place where they put sugar in sambhar (I still cannot guess, where in the hell they got this idea to put sugar on our beautiful sambhar). All you can do is depend on a cook and pizza’s to fill your poor tummy.
But this sunday is not going to be same. Yes my cook has not come and Iam not in mood for the same old pizza’s, So Iam going to cook today and show you too brothers who had been abstaining themselves from the most dreaded room in the house – The Kitchen
on how to make a Super Sambhar and Rice !!
Super sambhar ?? Well it is just an ordinary sambhar, but super since we cook it 😀
Ok, now lets get dirty. After my mom recovered from that shock, I noted down the recipe for a perfect super sambhar , rice and created a masterpiece. Iam going to show you how you can reproduce the same.
After writing articles on windows installation to building satellite descramblers,
This is my first attempt on cooking so lets get started ,
Super Sambhar and Rice :
1/2 cup dhal (ask for sambhar dhal in shop) #parupu (tamil)
2 – tomatoes,chopped #thakali (tamil)
1-Onion,chopped #Vengayam (tamil)
2- Brinjals chopped to cubes #kathrika (tamil)
1-drumstick cut into 4 or 5 pieces #moorungaka (tamil)
1- potato chopped to cubes #ullaikalangu (tamil)
2 – Chillis -chopped #molaga(tamil)
A pinch of turmeric powder #(manjal podi)
1 tablespoon tamarind # puli (tamil),imli (hindi)
Coriander leaves # dhania
Curry leaves #karuva pilla (tamil)
Salt to taste
mustard seeds to fry in oil
Make sure you have cleaned the vessels, cooker and chopped the vegetables.
1. Put dhal in cooker with 3 times water (i.e if dhal is 1/2 , water should be 1.5 cups), put chopped tomatoes, a pinch of turmeric. Close and keep the cooker on burner for 3 whistles. Switch off the cooker after it.
2. Soak the tamarind in water on a small vessel.
3. Take a kadai, pour 1 tablespoon oil and after it has been heated put some mustard seeds on it (keep away from it,it bursts yeah after all mustard bombs where made from it).
3.a. put the chopped onions in it and do a saute (that is jerking like a thai chi on kadai with a spatula) till it turns golden brown.
3.b. put chilli, curry leaves, drumstick, brinjal, 1-tablespoon oil, 1/2 salt, sambhar powder (2-3 spoons) and do the saute again.
3.c. pour water till all the vegetables get soaked.
(Note: make sure the burner is sim during all the procedure of step-3)
4. Open cooker (Hope the pressure has been released by now), smash the dhal with the spatula.
5. Put the smashed dhal on to the kadai, mix well.
6. Put the soaked tamarind pulp (just the tamarind pulp,throw away rest) along with 1/2 salt.
7. Keep the burner in sim , mix and saute well.
8. Let it boil for 5-7 minutes and the burner should be in sim. Put the coriander leaves on the top and remove the kadai from the stove. (make sure you switch of the gas).
Your hot smokin super sambhar is ready !!
Now to make rice,
1-cup rice, 2-cup water
1. Boil the rice in cooker with 1-cup rice and 2 cup water for about 3-4 whistles(depends on the quality of rice, mostly 3 would do).
2. Let the steam go out of cooker naturally.
You got your smoking rice !!
Thanks for dear bro Dhanan jayan for helping me out on this venture 😉
Super sambhar and rice is ready for a nice lunch, try it out and share your experiences with me in comments.
Almost forgot, so did you notice the part-1 in the title,
yup that means I’ll be back with another super dish 😉